Keeping Ontario’s Legislative Assembly running smoothly takes many talented people, doing many different jobs—from camera operators and committee clerks to purchasing officers and researchers. The Office of the Assembly is dedicated to serving Ontario’s Parliament.
Together, we provide non-partisan administrative and procedural services to all MPPs, as well as operational support for the daily activities of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario. Our success is determined by the strength and diversity of our staff and by supporting our core values: integrity, inclusiveness, collaboration, and excellence.
The Office of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario, Legislative Protective Service (LPS) Branch, in Toronto, ON, is seeking a dependable, service-oriented individual who possesses excellent communication and interpersonal skills to join their team as a Security Officer.
What You’ll Do
You’ll act with integrity to:
• Demonstrate a high degree of professionalism and independence from political influences
• Act in conformity with the law and established policies
• Exhibit the utmost tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality at all times
You’ll support our collaboration as you:
• Carry out your duties as a Security Officer according to legislation and Service standards
• Apply the principles of bias-free law enforcement
• Conduct general patrols and control access within the Legislative Precinct
• Respond to calls for Service (i.e. criminal activity, security breaches, medical emergencies, potential threats, etc.)
• Maintain the safety of self and others
• Provide exceptional customer service in your daily interactions with Members of the Provincial Parliament, the media, visiting dignitaries, and the general public
• Complete investigations and prepare reports
• Deliver court testimony, as required
How You Qualify
You demonstrate excellence through your:
• Ability to maintain Security Officer status
• Excellent interactive communication and customer service skills
• Excellent judgment and problem-solving skills
• Agility and ability to adapt and respond to changing, and at times stressful, environments
• Strong observational and analytical skills
• Experience related to military, security, and/or law enforcement (considered an asset)
• Knowledge of a variety of provincial and federal legislation, including the Trespass to Property Act and the Criminal Code of Canada
• Knowledge of effective investigative methods
• Advanced knowledge of protection practices and emergency response procedures
• Valid Standard First Aid Level C certification
• Computer skills, including Windows and Microsoft Office
If you join our team, you can expect:
• A comprehensive benefit and pension package
• To be encouraged and supported to grow your career through training and development
• A dynamic work environment
• To work with a team of dedicated professionals
• To be required to work rotational shifts, 40 hours per week, in a 24-hour, seven-day-a-week operation
Note: Employment offers are conditional on completing and passing all training (academic and physical).
Cadet Starting Salary: $55,000 per annum
Security Officer Salary Grid: $68,852 – $83,478 per annum (based on a Step Rate Structure)
Upon completing the required training program, Cadets will move to the Security Officer Salary Grid.
If you share our values and are interested in this position, please visit us at www.ola.org, select Careers for more details and “Sign in to Apply” at the bottom of the page. File No.: LA-2023-88 Closing Date: Thursday, August 17, 2023
The Legislative Assembly of Ontario embraces diversity and, as an equal opportunity employer, is committed to creating an inclusive workplace while establishing a diversified qualified workforce. If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please email your contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org for follow-up.
While we appreciate your interest in obtaining employment with the Legislative Assembly of Ontario, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.