Use Of Force Training: Toronto Classes
Security Guard Course Inc. (SGC) and its partners are pleased to announce a new and improved Use of Force and Handcuffing Certification.
This program has two parts: first an online academic course must be completed and second, an eight hour in class physical course is completed. Both parts of the program have a test that must be passed.
Some popular Use of Force programs promise to properly train security guards on Use of Force legalities, Handcuffing techniques and Baton techniques in a single day. They do not teach the legalities and the “why and when” of legitimate uses of force. They tend to cut this part out and proceed directly to the hands on “how to”. This is why some courses are cheaper and shorter than ours. We think that a higher standard is required for the physical safety and legal safety of security guards and others involved.
The online program includes videos and “how to” demonstrations, step by step processes etc. for both empty hand disengagement skills and handcuffing and search techniques. This is in support of the academic materials taught. It is not meant as a stand-alone course in the use of force.
The in class program is held at a Toronto location for individuals. You do not need a security guard license to attend. Companies that want to certify their staff can hire our instructor to attend their location. You can contact us here. If your staff does need their security license, you can sign them up here.
The online curriculum covers:
- Security ethics and professional conduct.
- Legal authorities of security guards.
- Criminal code use of force sections.
- Effective communications.
- Crowd and protest management.
- Dealing with emotionally and mentally disturbed persons.
- Introduction to passive handcuffing.
- Introduction to passive search.
- Final exam.
The in-class curriculum covers:
- Stances, balance, movement, empty hand techniques (soft).
- Disengagement from common grabs and common assaults.
- Non-physical intervention and disengagement options.
- Physical intervention options including tactics for breaking up altercations between others and escorts without handcuffs.
- Passive handcuffing, search/escorts of compliant persons.
- Ground control/containment of assaultive/resistive persons, active handcuffing and search.
- Transitioning from grounded positions to standing while maintaining control.
- Final exam.
Students who successfully complete the program and pass the exams are issued a one year Use of Force and Handcuffing Certificate.
The program was designed, developed and is monitored by Superior Court Recognized Subject Matter Experts in this field. These experts, (transcripts on file upon request) are specialists in training Canadian Security guards/officers, Police and Special Constables, Sheriffs, Bylaw Enforcement Officers, Loss Prevention and other Provincial Officers.
Check out our FAQ page for even more great information!
If you are interested in upgrading your security skills, complete the Use of Force and Handcuffing Certificate and purchase the course via our website here.