Do you live in Calgary or Edmonton and need your Alberta Security License and aren’t sure where to start? Well you have come to the right place. There are some steps to follow to work in security and be successful on the job. We’ve outlined tips and answered common questions on how to get Alberta Basic Security Training and get an Alberta security job below.
Make Sure you are Eligible to Become a Security Guard
What are the eligibility requirements to apply for an Alberta Security Guard License?
Eligibility requirements include:
- You must be over 18 years old
- You must be eligible to work in Canada
- You must be fluent in English- This is a level 5 benchmark according to the Centre for Canadian Language Benchmarks.
- You must have no criminal record
- You must have no outstanding criminal charges- If you have a criminal record you may not be able to apply until your record is cleared depending on the offence. For more information visit this post: Can I get a security guard license with a Criminal Record?
- You must not be the subject of a criminal investigation
Receive Proper Security Training to Pass your Exam and Get your Alberta Security License
SGC’s Alberta Basic Security Training course (ABST) follows the Alberta Justice and Solicitor General’s guidelines and meets industry standards. Our Alberta Basic Security Training (ABST) course is a 40-hour online course offering all the resources and training you need to pass your security license exam and succeed on the job once you have your Alberta Security license.
Once you Complete the ABST, take the Exam.
After you’ve successfully completed your final exam with a score of 80% or higher, you’ll get your training certificate by email. For more on information on the exam process and how to get your certificate after you pass visit this post.
Apply for your Alberta Security Guard License.
To learn more about the steps to apply for your Alberta Security License, click here.
How long does it take to get an Alberta security license?
It’s up to you. The course is 40 hours and can be completed online at your convenience. If you apply for your Security Guard License and pass the exam right away you can be finished in as little as three weeks.
Look for Work
After receiving your Alberta Security Guard License (congratulations!) you are qualified to get a job in the security field.
How do I get a security job in Alberta?
To find work you can:
What kind of job can I get with my Alberta Security License?
After you complete your ABST, pass your exam, and get your Alberta Security License you may work as a:
- Security Guard
- Patrol Dog Handler
- Alarm Response
- Loss Prevention Worker
- Body Guard
What fields do security professionals work in?
You may work in:
- Tourism- Hotels, Tourist Attractions
- Malls- Edmonton Mall, Chinook Mall
- Oil Sands
- Residential Security
- Office Security
Follow the above tips for Alberta Basic Security Training and you will be working in security before you know it.